BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Before using Basis for Android, you must first set up your Basis account and link it to your Basis band using the Basis Sync Desktop Client and the USB Charging Cradle that came with your device.
You will not be able to sync via your Android device until this step is complete. To Get Started with your Basis band please visit: http://support.mybasis.com/hc/en-us/sections/200553940-Getting-Started
Download and Install the Basis for Android App
- The Basis for Android App is available through the Play Store on your phone.
- If you're having a problem accessing it, download from here.
- Follow the onscreen instructions for installation.
Sign In and Pair
- Before you set up your Basis band with your mobile device, please make sure you have activated your Basis band and synced once via the desktop client Basis Sync. For information on device activation and sync, see our 'Activating Your Basis Band' article here.
- Make sure you have firmware version 2.3-2.42 or higher installed on your Basis band. You can upgrade your firmware by connecting your band to your computer with a running instance of Basis Sync.
- Make sure bluetooth is enabled on your phone. Instructions for enabling bluetooth may vary depending on your phone and cellular carrier.
From this screen, log in using your Basis account credentials. You'll be prompted to pair your Basis Band to your phone:
Pairing is the act of binding your Basis Band to your phone so they can communicate using the bluetooth chip.
To start pairing on your Basis band:
- Press and release the large physical button on the side of your band.
- You should see the message 'Connect Device' displayed
- Press and release the button again to enable bluetooth.
- You should see 'enabling' flash on the screen and then the following message displayed:
- If your phone is still in the Pairing screen, it will begin to automatically pair and sync.
- If the following error has popped up, simply tap 'ok' and pairing should occur:
- If you've followed the steps above and are unable to pair, please see Troubleshooting
By default, syncing via Android is scheduled to occur every 30 minutes as long as your Basis Band is within bluetooth communication range of your phone.
You can update your syncing interval via the settings. You can read more about this in our overview of the app.
If you're experiencing issues with Automatic Sync, please see our Troubleshooting article for more info.
Syncing can be initiated manually using your Basis band. Please note that manual syncing requires that your phone be awake and on. If it's in sleep mode (where the screen of the phone is dark), syncing will fail.
To initiate manual syncing:
- Press the large physical button on the side of your Basis band.
- You should see the 'Sync Now' message displayed on your Basis band
- Press the physical button again to begin syncing.
- You will then see your sync progress displayed on your phone:
Enabling and Disabling Bluetooth
Having bluetooth enabled on your Basis band and on your phone can cause your battery to lose charge more swiftly than you are used to.
You can tell if bluetooth on your watch is enabled or not by looking for the bluetooth icon in the upper left corner of the watch screen:
If you wish to disable bluetooth temporarily you can do that by following these steps:
- Press the physical button on the side of your Basis band. You should see the 'Sync Now' message displayed.
- Press the lower right touch pin on the face of your Basis band to select the 'Disable Bluetooth' menu item.
- Press the physical button on the side of your Basis band again to disable bluetooth.
Disabling bluetooth on your phone may vary depending on the type of phone you have and your cellular carrier.
Bluetooth communication range
- As long as you're within the same room as your phone, the range for bluetooth syncing under ideal conditions is about 10 meters (30 feet).
- For the best syncing experience, it's a good idea to keep your phone on your person or within a few feet of your Basis band.
Next Article: Overview of the App
Previous Article: Requirements