I read all the FAQs before purchasing my B1, but the failures of the device have really surprised and saddened me.
I'd greatly appreciate hearing from a Basis employee, particularly regarding whether any of my core concerns are likely to be addressed in a near-to-mid-term firmware update.
Without further ado, here are my thoughts, with my core concerns bolded:
- Not uncomfortable to wear
- Don't have to tell it when you're going to sleep
- Heartrate thing seems to works decently outside of exercise periods and recovery periods.
- Can sync while it's still on your wrist
- Free shipping
- Very easy to get started after charging
- Step counting seems to be very inaccurate (lots of false positives when I was sitting, tracks less than 5% of steps taken while on a treadmill)
Sleep tracking is horribly off; over two very restless nights in which I know I was awake at least several times (and my fitbit confirms this), my B1 claimed that my sleep each night had 0 interruptions. Even weirder, one night scored a 92 "quality" rating, the other... a 0 quality rating. What the heck?!
Heart rate measurements aren't just infrequent during/after exercise, they're terribly inaccurate! 61 beats per minute while doing intense aerobic activity? 65bpm 3 minutes after this activity when I was completely still but with my heart rate was over 100bpm?!
- Arrived with battery almost completely empty
- Seemingly little customer service engagement in forums
- Doesn't include time-to-fall-asleep info
- Doesn't track # of flights / stairs
- Difficult to read in medium light / low light / from an angle
- 15% restocking fee
- Long wait to receive
- Looks clunky (but in fairness, this is one of the few things I knew to expect, and would tolerate if not for the other severe issues cited above)
- Works with very few phones